My friend Jennifer and I scheduled another cook/play date. We have different tastes, so I try to be a little more adventurous when we are looking at recipes together. We finally agreed on a recipe for creamy white chicken and artichoke lasagna http://pinterest.com/pin/91901648616108929/.
We met at Jennifer’s apartment again to cook. Jennifer invited another friend with kids over and all the littles played. I picked up a box of No Bake Noodles hoping that it would make our meal cook a little quicker, but the cook time was actually longer by 20 minutes. Live and Learn.
The hubbies all finished work in time and were able to join us as well. It was quite a nice little dinner party.
The end result was pretty good. It was perfectly tasty, I could see that anyone who is an artichoke fan will love this dish. But for me it was just a nice dish to try, but I probably won’t make it again.
If you like artichokes, this is the dish for you:
Creamy white chicken and artichoke lasagna
- 2/3 cup butter, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1-3/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips and halved
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/3 cup butter. Stir in the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, nutmeg and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In large a skillet, cook chicken in remaining butter until no longer pink. Stir in the artichokes, thyme and remaining salt; heat through.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer about 1/3 cup white sauce, three noodles, 1/2 cup sauce, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and about 3 cups chicken mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.